Saturday, January 3, 2009

The chase

I just came back from a visit to my father-in-law's place up in Scott's Mills and took these images of some old farm equipment he has on his property. The first two are of an old horse-drawn plow and the second two are of a 1950s Oliver tractor. Of course, I've seen these things many times and have photographed them before, but I never get tired of them. Admittedly, I'm not as good at this sort of thing as Melynda is, but I try. I would prefer to use a wide angle lens and get the whole thing in. But both of these are surrounded by huge fir trees and impossible to get a clean, unobstructed shot of either one in their entirety. Because of this, it's a puzzle to try and solve because they force you to really zero in on some smaller aspect. Further, the colors of the patina and rust are beautiful in the late evening light but again, since they're protected by the trees, you can't really drink it all in at once. You have to take it in pieces. These two rusted hunks have vexed me for years. I've taken hundreds of images of them - in digital AND black and white film - and these four are really the best I've been able to come away with. The only thing I have yet to try (and I will) is my 4x5 camera. That will be my next challenge. But, I'm using my digital to try and discover the perfect perspective so that when I train my 4x5 camera on it, I'll know just where to frame the shot. Beyond that, it will be a matter of waiting for the light. I love this chase.


Plow seat w/fill flash


Plow wheel w/fill flash


Tractor grill, oblique view w/fill flash


Tractor grill, front detail, all natural light

No comments:

Post a Comment