Sunday, January 11, 2009

And it's only just begun...

The Winter session has just begun and already I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm taking four classes this quarter - two of them are 5 credit studio courses - and even though it's only the end of the first week, I'm getting that running-out-of-time feeling. On the first day of classes, I discovered that my Adobe CS2 was not going to cover me through the end of my academic career. In just the past two years, the industry has moved so far ahead that I have been forced to upgrade to CS4. Fortunately, I found I great deal on the academic version. If you are a fellow student, you can get a fantastic deal on creative software through a non-profit organization called Organization for Educational Technology and Curriculum (www.oetc.org). You can find their purchasing website at http://www.techhead.org/

From there, you can purchase software at steeply discounted prices. Caveat: more than likely, you will receive an error message saying something like "unable to verify enrollment." Don't worry. Just continue the purchase process to the last page. Then, print that page out and fax it, along with a copy of your student ID card to their fax number located at the very bottom of the OETC.org website (it's a different website). Yeah, it's a little weird. But, it worked for me. I got my software in two days via UPS. Of course, I live a very short distance from their offices here in Oregon. But it worked out well for me. I got my new CS4 software on Friday and got it all loaded on my laptop yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment